Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday January 10, 2010

Well my latest undertaking was to try and learn pastels. I needed a jump start in learning and so I've spent the last week following a wonderful demo that Desiree both wrote and videotaped. So much information but I'm learning. We started with a piece of sandpaper fine (think mine was not so fine as my fingers feel like they are worn to the nubs). There is so much to remember and do and it has helped me slow down a bit and be patient. I also realize I am not a realist painter in the truest sense or really any sense. I add color that's not there and I don't follow a photo totally. I have to be satisfied with the way that I interpret but continue to learn.

As I said I went from this:





To this:



And then this is all I'm doing on this one.



I'm certainly not that pleased with the outcome but very pleased with all I have learned. The next one I will not have to learn each step but then move on to other things that I need to learn (like how to properly blend soft pastels). I'm really excited about learning this new medium but I think for the rest of the day I'm going back to watercolor and give my finger pads a chance to heal a bit.

4 comments:

  1. great job! I am so glad you pushed yourself to try something new! What a great start to 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, this is gorgeous! I lovelovelove that purple in the first one. Do you have a link to the demo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate. The demo is on a watercolor web site that I'm a member of. Why don't you join? It is a really nice site and you probably know several of these folks. It is at http://paintingfriends.com/forums or just go to it without forums and then join.
    They have a lot of different challenges and really nice folks that will help you. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you picked up painting again, as well as this blog. I love the colors you started with too!

    ReplyDelete